Happy Labor Day weekend to those who celebrate the holiday! It’s the unofficial end of the summer, though here in Florida we don’t really experience the seasons the same as our northern friends. Still, this long weekend is a great excuse to kick back, relax and enjoy the last days of summer. I hope you’re able to take some time off and spend the day with your family, friends, fur-kids, or just enjoying some long overdue alone time. I’ve actually been doing a combination of the above and it’s been lovely so far.
We’ll be relaxing at home today but plan to attend a barbecue at our local Elks lodge tomorrow. The hot dogs and (in my case, veggie) burgers will be provided but the guests will be adding the side dishes. I thought long and hard about what to make, wanted to ensure that my dish would be vegan, of course, but also appeal to the omnivores. I finally decided on a tried & true family recipe, one I’ve been toting along to pot lucks, baby showers and other events for many years. (I actually won a Virtual Vegan Potluck with this dish a few years ago!) I am re-posting from my other blog, hope you try and enjoy this salad as much as we do.
Note: this is one of those occasions where I do allow some oil into my menu, though it’s still a fairly nominal amount.
Triple Bean & Artichoke Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked Great Northern Beans — or 1 15-oz can, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas — or 1 15-oz can, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black-eyed peas — or 1 15-oz can, rinsed and drained
- 18 ounces marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (3 to 4)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; blend thoroughly.
Chill for at least an hour to allow flavors to mingle.
Hope you have a wonderful day, however you choose to spend it.